How MidoNet Works
MidoNet is an open source network virtualization overlay software. With its distributed architecture, it allows enterprises and service providers to build, operate, and manage virtual networks at scale with agility, security and simplicity. Operators can overlay MidoNet on top of their existing hardware and hypervisor software. One network for any platform.
Slash your operations budget with MidoNet.
Fully virtualized Layer 2 to 4 Networking
- Distributed virtual switching, Layer 2 over Layer 3, decoupled from the physical network without limitations of convention VLANs
- Interconnect with VLAN/VxLAN networks (physical and virtual) via software L2 Gateway Logical Routing
- Routing between virtual networks without exiting the software container
- Distributed Firewall that is integrated with the Linux kernel
- Enforces security policies for high packet processing performance
Stateful and Stateless Network Address Translation (NAT) and Floating IP addresses
MidoNet uses static NAT to implement floating IP addresses in two ways:
- Bring traffic from an external network to a floating IP address for a tenant router
- Perform network address translation from the external network's public IP address to a private IP address and in the reverse direction.
Logical Layer 4 Load Balancer
- Application Load Balancing in software
- Dynamically scale up and down load balancing with compute
RESTful API for integration into any Cloud Management Software (OpenStack, vSphere, Custom Platforms)
The MidoNet Advantage
Works with existing hardware
MidoNet protects investment and avoids vendor lock-in in data centers as it works with any underlying networking hardware.
Improve application deployment time
MidoNet improves the provisioning time of networks from weeks to seconds and provides end users to access applications on-demand and in no time
Improve network scalability
MidoNet’s distributed control architecture and avoidance of a centralized controller allows you to linearly scale your network capability as you add nodes to the network.
Reduce CapEx and OpEx
MidoNet helps avoid buying any additional networking hardware to scale networks and helps manage networks with a single pane of glass.
Dynamically configure networks based on application demand
L3 routing capability allows live VM migration to anywhere in the datacenter as opposed to migration offered at L2 by some vendors that limits VM migration only within the same rack.
Replaces default OVS plugin from OpenStack environments
MidoNet plugin replaces default OVS plugin from OpenStack environments, provides neutron network functions and improves stability, performance and resiliency of networks. Distributed nature of MidoNet plugin avoids single point-of-failure.